Tenant Damage or Normal Wear and Tear – Maintenance in Your Charlotte, NC Rental Property

One of the most valuable services that a professional property manager can provide is rental property maintenance in Charlotte, NC. There are several different types of maintenance that your investment home will need, and the most important work is often done between tenants. Determining the difference between normal wear and tear and tenant damage can be challenging, and it’s helpful to have an experienced professional tell you whether or not you can charge a tenant’s security deposit for what you find at the property after that tenant moves out.

Making Repair Requests

If you require your tenants to put their repair requests in writing, you’ll have an easy way to track and document the work that is done on your property. Management companies will have an online portal, where tenants can log on and explain their maintenance needs. If you don’t have a portal, you can ask tenants to email you their repair requests. Emergencies may require a phone call, and your tenants should always have an emergency contact number.

Diagnosing the Problem

Once you have a repair request, you’ll need to decide on the best course of action. Evaluate the problem and talk to your vendors so you have some idea of what it will take to repair the issue, and what the cost will be.

Normal Wear and Tear

Landlords are responsible for providing a habitable and safe home, which means anything that can be considered normal wear and tear needs to be paid for by the owner. You have to maintain the appliances and the systems, and you’ll need to pay for the things that would occur at the property even if you were living there yourself. Damage, however, is the responsibility of the tenant. If a repair is needed because of a tenant’s neglect or abuse, you can require the tenant to pay for it. When a tenant moves out, you can use the security deposit to pay for any damage that goes beyond normal wear and tear.

If you have any questions about how to handle maintenance or identify tenant damage, please contact Carod Properties.

EvictionProfessional Property Management